Friday, August 1, 2008

With Help from the Dog

The latest on the jeans circle quilt:

I've got all the colored fabric squares cut out, as well as all the squares of batting (lots of them, since I decided to use a double layer). I've got my new red thread for sewing it all together.

Now I'm on the long step of figuring out where each colored square goes in the overall quilt, since each square is unique (the nature of tie-dye, of course). I expect this phase will take me several days, and the sewing will take another several days. Of course, that doesn't even count the pinning: 221 squares, at least 4 pins per square--I think I'd better go get some more pins! I'm throwing out a lot of them, too, since the pins are bending easily as I force them through all the thick layers of denim and batting.

The sewn-together-and-ironed-over circles look pretty good, but I have a minor case of "blank canvas syndrome", where I just can't decide where to start!

Fortunately, I'm getting some help. I let my younger daughter try laying out a pattern, and she did a pretty good first cut:

Now I can move forward, since I have an initial design to work from or work against (mine is likely to be completely different, but hers gives me something to rearrange). In the meantime, I'm getting a little too much help from Lacey!

She always manages to pick a background that looks good on her. She thinks the quilt is for her anyhow, so she's making sure she likes it...

I guess it's hard work being that cute all the time!


laurie in maine said...

Hi :)
I did 2 of these as picnic-sized quilts back about February I think (12x12 circles) and they weigh a ton! I didn't use any batting, just the pretty focus fabric & jean circles. It will be interesting to see how you do this with batting - thinking of doing another one so I'm going to watch your blog. :)

I tried a couple of fancy programmed stitches - zig zag type back & forth with matching thread so it blended in and controlled fraying, rather than a stitch that draws attention. Went back to a slightly less fancy zig zag stitch because the back & forth motion of the fancier stitch was hard to control once the sections got bigger.

By doing 6 x 6 sections and then putting the sections together, that center focus fabric that connected the sections was the hardest part to control without getting a pucker or getting crooked curves. I also learned NOT to leave them to last - do 3 sides before connecting 2 larger sections so there is less turning the whole thing through the sewing machine 4 times.

Did you test your batting plan in your prototype? I was afraid I would get a lumpy puff-quilt. (just had 70's flash back for a moment there remembering stuffing little "pillows" and sewing them together...I hope they're not still hiding in the bottom of a UFO box!)

Sara said...

Not done with the quilt yet, but about due for another blog progress report... Currently it's squatting on my kitchen table until my husband banishes it so he can eat at the table! :-)

This is my first quilt, and I'm used to those fluffy comforters for my bed, so I went with some fairly thick batting (I forget exactly what at the moment). I did try it on my prototype (2 thicknesses) and chose the thicker batting.

This thing is definitely a pain to work with! Thanks for helping to spur me on, though!